Interesting! OAP Osam reviews P-Square's new album | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Saturday 25 October 2014

Interesting! OAP Osam reviews P-Square's new album

If you loved or didn't like P-Square's new album Double Trouble, then you need to read this review by popular OAP and comedian, Osam. Find below...
The accepted norm to know a singer or an artiste’s worth is the reeling out of an LP or an album. In Nigeria today, there is more concentration from artistes in spewing out single after single in the silent bid that one just might be the hit they have been craving for.
P-Square is a group that defies logic in this game of from single to album. There is this midas touch from these boys that just keeps everybody in awe.

Hate ‘em, Love ‘em, they are one of the very few professionals left in this dispensation.
As an OAP, I play back to back hit songs for 6hours Monday to Friday, and I now want to take a critical look at albums that have come out recently so as to know why the craze for singles short of albums which is every artiste’s nightmare.

This is a review of Psquare’s 6TH album DOUBLE TROUBLE.

Track 1: SHEKINI
An ‘African Jungle Beat’ as I term it, popularised the likes of Davido’s ‘AYE/SKELEWU’,Runtown’s ‘GALLARDO’ etc. It’s a beat with a waist winding push and prompts to mind the wave of the SHOKI/SKELEWU/SEKEM dance. The joker about this track is that the Igbo boys that isPsquare actually sang the hook in impeccable Yoruba. Attention grabbing track for an album opener.

Track 2: MISSING YOU
A nice highlife track. I believe Sunny Neji is one ingredient missing from this track. It has its upbeat swing that brings in the vintage Psquare flavour. Guys, make sure you are not missing your lady when listening to this track.

Track 3: BRING IT ONft DAVE SCOTT
A personal favourite. An initial 20 second listen of this track from the start would leave you guessing if it’s a foreign track. Featuring Dave Scott,  a hitherto unknown American singer from Texas. Listening to this mid tempo pop track with its undulating beat, apart from its message of hope, voice artistry comes into play here. The harmony of Dave’s voice and that of Psquare is absolutely timed and mind blowing. Rudeboy himself solely produced this one, and that would be Paul Okoye!

Track 4: MMS(Mugu Money Spender)
You just have to give it to the power of the African Jungle Beat yet again. It seems as if Psquare are being penitent from the carefree ‘CHOP MY MONEY’ frenzy and are now wise with the way money is to be spent. LOL.Hardcorebassline accompanies this yet  another dance track to the wave of Skelewu/Shoki/Sekem dance step.

Track 5: IFEOMA
If you know Psquare, this is another vintage track with a pleading message of love assisted with a mix of highlife and uptempo reggae. The bassline too just grabs my attention. Guys, this is another song you could use to win your sweethearts back. But please tell her that when she hears IFEOMA being called out in the song she should replace it with her own name in her head o!

Track 6:  EJEAJO ft TI
Now this is a track with a Yoruba phrase ‘EJEAJO’ which means ‘Let’s dance’ .Psquare takes us back to the swinging 80’s soul train era with this intense pop tune. Personally, I believe Jermaine Jackson would have fit into this track because the American rapper T.I rap comes up short. It’s a nice experiment  and would hit the reminiscing over 35’s. Good back up video though.

Track 7: COLLABO ft DON JAZZY
Funnily enough Don Jazzy didn’t produce this track. Another African Jungle Beat with good vibes from the collabo of Psquare and Don Jazzy, produced by Oscar. Chicks love this jam. Beware if a chick sings it to you!

Track 8: OGADIGIDE
I was expecting to hear Flavour’s input in this track because this is just down his alley. Inspiring track in igbo chorus whose title means ‘ It will last forever’. A fine blend of highlife and African Jungle Beat.

Track 9: NO BE JOKE
Rhythm and Blues slow tempo with a good bassline, aligning drumbeats and a blend of the Pqsuare trademark voice.

Track 10: ENEMY SOLOft AWILO LONGOMBA
No doubt this song is geared at haters and probably was structured to make them dance when they hear it hence the makossabeat . The track’s authenticity is heightened with the inclusion of the Makossa maestro AWILO LOGOMBA who did justice with his own rendition in his Congolese dialect from the start of the song. On point for makossa lovers,

Track 11: SARI SARI
Another up tempo highlife song depicting love to a girl. This dance tracks shows the dexterity of Psquare being able switch from pidgin to igbo then English with a smooth flow. Love the guitar solos though.

Track 12: ZOMBIE ft Jermaine Jackson

Okay, this is where I have a little bit of bother. Is it the Michael Jackson-like wail his brother Jermaine added throughout this track? Or is it that the track is a stylish mix of Afrobeat and pop? Or is it that it sounds like an experimental sound? I think this is the track T.I should have featured in to add that rap feel. This song was produced solely by Mr P and that would be Peter Okoye!

Track 13: IJE LOVE
This is the track you would dedicate to that special woman in your life. I can see this track being played at wedding reception because of its up tempo nature and infusion of highlife
BONUS TRACKS THAT INITAILLY CAME OUT AS SINGLES:
TESTIMONY- In which some  market men and women use in opening their shops in Lagos,
PERSONALLY- The video made Jermaine interested in Psquare
ALINGO- A song with a dance to it.

*MY RATINGS: Good effort!*
I  am going to be reviewing some albums that came out recently next  and I am going to call a spade a spade!
So if you want an album reviewed, which would you like?

OSAM.

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

The is just PR.I'm a P square fan,but this album is total scrap.Guyz go back and bring out something more creative like you did in d past...Wahala dey!

Unknown said...

What is this?

BORN TO SHINE!!!

BONARIO NNAGS said...

Lindiway plz review Asa's album, that girl is a goddess.
Her Eyo and love found me always on replay.

~BONARIO~says so via NOKIA LUMIA

Anonymous said...

Nice album. I can't stop playing track 3.

Anonymous said...

nice one.i would like u to review the Kokolet master.

Anonymous said...

Your Opinion

Anonymous said...

I scrolled down to read his review on "Ejeajo"
That's because that's the only song I've listened to from that album..
If he had being truthful, I would have read the others.. But guess what????
HE LIED...
That song is trash.. Very stupid song...
And to think they copied the video from Chris Brown "fine china"
I'm disappointed Clarence and Jude came up with that shid...
You don't waste your money to feature Americans...
What has Ejeajo got to do with T.I?????
-_-
If Osam had being truthful, I would have believed his other reviews, but he didn't. Licking ass.
Tsew...
I still love P-square tho...
But this album..
№ make sense at all..
I don't expect ppl to agree with me, Nigerians listen to rubbish songs and hype rubbish songs.

Anonymous said...

Ayo- wizkid

my opinion said...

I loved the new album honestly. Don't rly like *zombie* dat much though! Mayb I will reconsider since it's my peter dat produced it... lol

Unknown said...

Thanks to Uncle Osam as i do call him. he should Review WIZKID "AYO" for us pls!!!.

Xclusive said...

This review is not critical. It's either this guy just craved for attention (sure bet) or he doesn't know what to look out for in songs. I wish that guy that reviewed 2face's album (can't remember his name now) would review the double trouble album.

Dave Mide said...

Lmao ...sit ur ass down "beech", Who asked u to rate song for us,like we dont know what we listen to. Its your opinion tho ....all in all, good conclusion. #dont hate on me guys ... i just said my mind.

Unknown said...

K

Funso Samuel said...

Collabo,Shekini,Ejeajo and Missing You are my fav. songs

milex said...

story for the gods...

#king said...

He did a nice review..The album is a 7/10 for me..good job but as for 2face..2/10 I was sooo disappointed..Not even a single hit..living on past glory...................................#KingOfKings

Pee said...

Wizkid Ayo/joy album

Unknown said...

I WILL RESERVE MY COMMENT CUX I DON'T KNOW WHO THIS DUDE IS OR WHY HE'S ANALYSIS IS IMPORTANT. ****QUEENMAYA****

Anonymous said...

Wow! Have been playing this Album back to back. My best Album of the year....... Well done P Square.

Eka Joy said...

Good review, making me hunger for it

Anonymous said...

Double problem is a hot album, get a copy now
The standard

to Heaven


3

Things that makes people cry


Why You Must

Command God

Anonymous said...

The album review is crap! Dont review any album again plz

Anonymous said...

Linda; I'm suspecting this Julius Agwu party u attended. Seems you met Psquare and they told you or did you somehow that made you sweeten up on them. How far na. *big smile* enjoy. You climbing Alexa like it's your right *winks* God make you bigger

Okoro said...

Yemi Alade's debut album most likely.
Nice one Linda!! More of this

Anonymous said...

I really love psquares new album. I stay dancing in my car when track 4, 6 & 7 starts playing. My favs!

Unknown said...

U still listen to songs lik small pikin, 2face gives u inspirational songs wit meaning, listen for his lyrics before u open ur mouth talk shit. Dat album u re rating lik dat was rated 12 in d whole world on Billboard, if u knw wat it is.

ary said...

Nice, why don't we have more of this? I believe it will help artiste get better.

Anonymous said...

That u don't like something doesn't mean its bad. Calm down Bitch and take a chilled pill. U reek of insults. Ejeajo is beyond your class, wait till u reach its level. Good album though. 'Missing u' my favorite!

jerry said...

Issokay........ Just like 2face.

@Charming_rascal said...

Don't know what people like about this Ejeajo of a track, I don't like it at all even when I turn on my radio and they play it, I change the dial.. Everyone has the right to giv his or her own review thou.
All the albums Naija artiste release dis days are not so gud. Those ones we underratee.g Black Magic, Jesse Jaggz e.t.c hav better albums. Waiting for M I's album

#The Theist

Anonymous said...

I love Paul, he is the king!!!

fly guy said...

He's trying 2 copy dat guy dat reviewed 2face's album, I prefer dat guy tho

APPLE said...

Ok

Anonymous said...

A word for the reviewer
1.pls get the real meaning of the word -- Review.
2.This is not a review. This is a sponsored article. Am sure linda got paid for this.
3.The so called Review for me is crap and rubbish.
4.This oSAM guy, pls hide your head in shame. I get it, the exact thing you rae trying to do,its all about survival, but bro, if you really want to be a great reviewer you don't have to kiss asses and write great lines to impress the artist. Pls en devour
to really call a spade a spade.
5. Am a P square fan. It's a great Album,i love it.
6.But not all the songs are good... But. P square remains the best at all time.
7.OSAM don't impress, write good reviews, check out the guys at netng,read their reviews, then maybe u will really understand what a review is all about.
8.shout out to linda.

Anonymous said...

Ha. You just hated on someone and you are begging us not to hate on u? U see Social media life? All this bad hearts wey no fit stomach insults dmslvs

nene said...

As do i

Anonymous said...

PSQUARE 4 FORE EVER BUT THIS ALBUM IS A STEP DOWN. YOU CAN DO BETTER.

Unknown said...

U re so on point

Beeteewhy said...

She's truly a goddess..

Anonymous said...

You are a mistake of nature and I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same specie as you

Anonymous said...

Different folks, different stroke. I know good music and I know "Zombie" is off the chain. I love the song. The other is enerny solo. Nice job Psquare

Unknown said...

Chop knuckle jare!

Bamidele said...

The only track on dis album is "bring it on"..the rest na B.S..

Unknown said...

Goodjob

Subomi said...

lets just say his review sucks!

Anonymous said...

She say she want my monaco, she say she need some collabo,I go sing for you, you go sing for me( wtf is that??).... Have been a psquare fan from their skinny days but this their new garbage album rubs oFf the respect I have for them... Listen to the whole track and kept wondering if it was psquare,what happened guys??where went that creative artistc ingenuity??The track featuring don jazzy and phyno remains the most dummiest garbage ever refurbished as music in histoRy... How can they keep up with the good beats and lyrics if Peter is always on twitter/instagram channeling all his energy on instarage??Am sure they would make a flashy video filled with beautiful women and sick rides to cover up for this garbage.... 2face and Asa remains the realest singers that Nigeria still have, all others are just entertainters.... This critic is a bootlicking mofo, nigga be a MAN!#cheEzyjayne

Celebgists said...

Dele I agree with you,the only song that reminded me that they were still psquare was bring it on.the other tracks na.....hmmm

Na me said...

Making me hunger for it???
Useless thing

Eli said...

Pls Review MI d Mr incredible's Album

Anonymous said...

Av loved Psquare from their first video, and album. But Osam pls go to the dictionary and check again what review means coz as far as am concerned this is PR.

Recent Posts